Do you drink 8 glasses of water a day?
And like me, are you are really pleased with your effort, especially in winter!
But your skin still does not have that ‘glow,’ in fact, you still have issues even when you are using the correct skincare and eating healthily as well!
So you drink more water, and you add a slice of lemon to every glass.
Nup – still no improvement.
The problem is – it is the water you are drinking.
Are you drinking water from the tap? Or a cooler on the side of the sink? Well, guess what, this is where the problem lies.
Water goes through a variety of treatments from when it leaves the dam – till when it comes out of your tap. You may have noticed – depending on where you are in the world, the water tastes different (some are just bacteria infested, but that’s another article).
Most first world countries all process their water in a similar method, but the water will be affected not only by the processing, but also by the pipes it goes through, and what seeps into the water from the soil as it makes its way into the dam.
Tap water is taken through a variety of treatments before we drink it, this is to;
- Control algae.
• Remove turbidity and colour.
• Remove microorganisms.
• Remove algal metabolites and synthetic pollutants.
• Reduce organic matter.
• Reduce the concentration of iron, manganese and other elements.
• Reduce pesticides and herbicides.
• Control taste and odour.
• Buffer or modify the pH.
• Control corrosion in distribution systems.
Chemical treatments may also be used for other public health measures, including:
• Fluoridation ( to prevent dental cavities)
So – the water coming out of your tap as your know it, has been heavily tampered with!
If you have ever stayed or lived on a farm, you will understand what I mean. The water is and tastes different as it is exactly what it is in its true from when it comes straight from the tank.
I have met a few girls who grew up on a farm on tank water who then moved into the city and started having issues with eczema caused due to the chemicals in it.
The best story I have heard is that someone hates washing her hair with tank water as her hair becomes limp. When she washes her hair with town water it is more voluminous – this is because of the chlorine in the water!
The two main players found in everyone’s tap water are;
Adding fluoride to drinking water is a process that began back in the 1940’s to help reduce tooth decay. It sounds like a noble cause but fluoride is a neurotoxin and an endocrine disruptor. It can harm the thyroid gland and calcify the pineal gland. It’s so toxic that several countries have banned it.
The reality is – all toothpaste now contains fluoride so we do not need to drink it as well!
Chlorine has disinfectant properties that make it useful for cleaning products and swimming pools. It’s even used to sanitize sewage and industrial waste.
So someone thought it would be a great idea to add it to our drinking water, although there always having been questions about its safety.
Chlorine is a reactive chemical that bonds with water, including the water in your gut, to produce poisonous hydrochloric acid.
It also kills of gut flora affecting gut health, including our overall health.
It is known to cause respiratory problems and damage cells. They have found long term effects are memory loss and impaired balance.
Another chemical which is also often found in water due to our aging pipes is;
Old corroded lead lined pipes can release up to ten times the allowable amount of lead into our water. Lead is toxic to every organ. Where children are concerned it can cause developmental issues, stunted growth, deafness, behavioral problems, learning disabilities, and brain damage.
When ingested during pregnancy, lead can cause premature birth.Lead exposure has even been linked to autism, prostate cancer, and reproductive problems for both men and women It’s damaging to the cardiovascular system and kidneys, as well. Basically all round – it is just really bad news.
Other substances often found in tap water are
- Trihalomethanes (THMs)
- Salts of:
Boiling water will not remove these toxins, but using filters will – just remember that you must replace your filters regularly.
Use a filter jug at home, or build a filtration unit into your kitchen sink. When you are out and about and do not want to buy bottled water (again – the BPA plastic from the bottles are another issue and another article) then you can buy a BPA free bottle with a built in filter on the top which allows you to just top up your water every where and it filters it whilst you drink!